It was held in the Bulldog Pit, which is the AHS basketball stadium. The students who received the scholarships in 2007, 2008 and 2009 were seated on the floor.


Artesia made National News because this is only the 2nd time Bush has made a public appearance since he left office (the other time was in Canada).

Moving from Europe back to Artesia, NM is quite a culture shock! If you don't know the area, it is a small town, Republican, conservative, predominantly Christian town in SE New Mexico with a population of about 15-20,000. I was looking at one of my friend's pictures on FB today and she had a picture of her with Mr. Bush. The caption to her picture was "He is the most amazing and intelligent man!" When I saw that, I just chuckled to myself because I thought of what people in Europe would say if they read that comment...or most people in America besides Texas and Southern New Mexico.
He mentioned at the beginning of his speech that is so good to be out of Washington. I can only imagine how glad he is to be visiting places where he is supported and thanked and encouraged more than he is hated and criticized.
So many people were living out their biggest dream by meeting him yesterday. People cried through his whole speech, waited in line for hours to see him and went CRAZY when he walked into the room. Kids were shaking and had sweaty palms as they nervously prepared to shake his hand. He really is a rock star around here :)



No comments:
Post a Comment