As I prepare to leave, I have noticed a TON of people telling me to be careful. Now I realize that most of these people are asking me to be a responsible driver and make it there safely. I understand and appreciate that. However, many people say "Be careful over there!" as if living in that state is much more dangerous than this one. It is in America people! I was in WAY more danger walking the streets of London alone.
Why are we so careful? What are we so scared of? A couple days ago I heard a man tell an elderly couple to be careful when they said goodbye to leave the restaurant. Be careful doing what? Walking across the street? Taking your dentures out at night? Why do we live our lives in fear? I am tired of being asked to live a safe life. Now this definitely doesn't mean I am going to be irresponsible or drive like a maniac and put lives at stake. I am making a change however.
I have decided that I am no longer going to ask people to live carefully. When I leave someone, I will tell them "Live adventurously! Be brave! Enjoy live! Carpe diem! Take big risks! Live your life!" Feel free to join me in bidding farewell to a boring, predictable, CAREFUL life! I promise it's more fun this way :)

I love Marty's motto: "I died a long time ago when I gave my life to Christ." Since I heard that, and since our conversations at Encounter, and since my wife has so challenged me to step outside myself, this has too become my motto.
ReplyDeleteUm... I don't think you get it. "Be careful" actually comes from an ancient Greek tradition where young boys would be sent to aid soldiers camped on the verge of combat. The boys, small, nimble, and able to fit quietly into confined spaces, would sneak into the tents of sleeping soldiers at night and remove threats that could endanger the uncoscious soldier, like a wandering adder, poisous berries, or a sword propped against a tent wall near the soldier's head. And you might think the soldier would feel sheepish on the front the next day when they reached for their blade only to be faced with a piece of parchment with an ink scribble reading "venden karabellum!" (Be careful.) But I thik we can all agree it would be way more embarrassing to die asleep when your sword fell on your face.
ReplyDelete