Tuesday, August 10, 2010

What is God doing?

I believe God can do ANY thing. I believe God can perform miracles. I believe NOTHING is impossible with God. However, I am pondering a few things I've seen recently on Facebook. God is helping people run a mile in 3 minutes, lift more weight than ever before, He stopped time so my friend could get everything finished and get their homework turned in on time...and I just wonder if we are attributing more to God than He is really doing. Do I think he can do all of those things and more? Absolutely.

To my knowledge, He has never allowed me to run at super sonic speeds or held off my sickness so that I could complete a big project at work. Is it because my faith isn't big enough? Am I doubting his power and so I am not seeing these miracles in my life? While I won't say these events definitely aren't happening, I will step out and say I'm skeptical.

I know God cares about my life and my heart and the way I live. I'm not sure God is concerned with how fast I run. Yes, God gave me this body, working legs, my health, and beautiful nature to run in. I am very grateful to Him that I am able to exercise and live a healthy life. I should eat and drink and run and shop and sleep and play and chat to the glory of God. But I don't know that the miracle he will perform in my life is to get me a great parking spot or to save me a size small sweater in the color I've been wanting forever. Perhaps He has bigger plans for my life and He's hoping I'll join him in redeeming lost souls, bringing hope to the hurting, and loving the outcasts of society. Or maybe he's really just worried about my exercise habits :)

2 comments:

  1. While I agree that God has huge things to do on a daily basis, I will also say that every huge, miraculous event is made up of many many MANY tiny moments that bring folks to the great big. Yes, stating that God brought you to a certain place so you could FINALLY have your favorite sweater is a stretch. But those minute encounters that you praise God for are seen by people who need to see someone attributing every good little thing to God. God's all up in the tiny stuff too. And I think that matters. I could be misreading what you're saying. If so, disregard :).And now I will dismount soapbox...

    brynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mandy! I just saw that you are following my blog. Thanks, I hope that you continue to read as I leave in a month for Argentina! And I will read yours :)...How are you doing? I went to Pine Springs last week and had an amazing experience!

    ReplyDelete